Wednesday, October 3, 2012

My Second IWSG.

     Today I'm weaving a security blanket of words to help with my insecurities!  That's right, it's time for Aristotle's seceond insecure writers support group.
     The first thing I'll write about is this quote by English logician and philosopher, Bertrand Russell - "Aristotle could have avoided the mistake of thinking that women have fewer teeth than men, by the simple device of asking Mrs. Aristotle to keep her mouth open while he counted."  There.  That's Aristotle's Mistake.  Just saved you the trouble of looking it up.
     Writing has gotten harder recently.  I keep saying it's due to a change in schedule, but there is always time.  I'm not less interested in it, or in learning and and reading.  It's just recently it's gotten harder to start the writing and see it through to the end.
     Part of it does seem to be due to changes.  I'm not working outside anymore, therefore I keep myself in.  I stopped drinking coffee for a few days because I've been drinking more.  Routines that kept me in check have begun to break down.  Why have they begun to break down?  Again, I feel like it's because of change.
     Writer's block affects me more.  Instead of being forced to deal with an idea that just keeps getting played over and over again in my head until I get up to walk it off, I find myself sitting here staring at the screen.  When I'm writing about insecurities, I can type.  The problem is that my thoughts only go as far as the current word.  This is a method that works well for writing about emotions, but it doesn't work as much for times when I want to write about stuff like physics.  I keep drifting off from my work.
     I dropped the routine  because I had to many distractions.  Before the change in job and change in location, I had a place to sit, drink coffee, and work with no distractions.  So the first step in picking a new routine is not to pick a new day, but instead to find a new place to work undistracted for a few hours.  Library might win the competition.
     The fact is, the routines help tremendously.  By simply planning things out in advance, it allows me time to think and work on other things.
     This is a strange post.  It's really me sitting here and working out my problems.  Hello to all of those visiting from Alex's blog.  You've been wonderful and I hope to see you again next month.

2 comments:

  1. Writer's block is the curse of the gods, sent to plague novelists everywhere. So uncool. Sometimes it helps me to free associate...ever tried? It's largely a waste of time, but hey, whatever work, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it's a difficult scene and I'm purposely avoiding writing it, generally that means I "need" to address the issue. When I was a kid I thought once you grew up, that was it, you were finished growing up. Course, now I know differently. We never stop evolving. And those little step-backs are really us regrouping, so we can take another giant step forward. I don't mean to sound trite, Red, but don't worry so much about staring at a blank screen. Instead, let yourself be in the moment. Is anything wrong? Anything bad happening? At that precise moment? When I answer no to those questions it gives me a boost and I suddenly feel lighter. What happened yesterday doesn't matter because it was yesterday. All that matters is this precise moment. And this is me cheering for you.

    ReplyDelete